fulltext.study @t Gmail

Nickel-promoted copper–silica nanocomposite catalysts for hydrogenation of levulinic acid to lactones using formic acid as a hydrogen feeder

Paper ID Volume ID Publish Year Pages File Format Full-Text
39335 45818 2015 9 PDF Available
Title
Nickel-promoted copper–silica nanocomposite catalysts for hydrogenation of levulinic acid to lactones using formic acid as a hydrogen feeder
Abstract

•Levulinic acid hydrogenation using formic acid as H2 source was studied over Ni-Cu/SiO2.•Ni(20)-Cu(60)/SiO2 continuously produced γ-valerolactone with 97% yield.•Ni-Cu/SiO2 showed its stability up to 200 h without any loss of catalytic activity.•Metallic dispersion in Ni-Cu/SiO2 is mainly responsible for superior catalytic activity.

Highly active, thermally stable nickel-promoted copper–silica nanocomposite catalysts were prepared via a deposition–precipitation method and used for hydrogenation of levulinic acid (LA) using formic acid (FA) as H2 feeder. Ni(20)Cu(60)-SiO2 (3:1 weight ratio of Cu to Ni, 80 wt% metal content) showed better activity for vapor-phase formation of γ-valerolactone (GVL) from LA with FA as a hydrogen source. The catalyst selectively converts 99% of LA into 96% of GVL; the remaining 4% is angelica-lactone (AL). The effect of different concentrations of Ni promoted on Cu-silica and different LA to FA molar ratios on the catalyst activity affecting the hydrogen-free hydrogenation of LA was studied. The catalyst Ni(20)Cu(60)-SiO2 exhibited long-term stability (200 h) without loss in activity. Characterization using TEM, XPS, TPR, XRD and N2O titration was performed to find the most active phase for LA hydrogenation to GVL and the reason for the long-term stability. It was found that Ni-promoted well-dispersed metallic Cu species were the most active phases in hydrogenation, and the nanocomposite nature of the catalyst helped in providing long-term stability to the active phase.

Graphical abstractFigure optionsDownload full-size imageDownload high-quality image (131 K)Download as PowerPoint slide

Keywords
γ-Valerolactone; Levulinic acid; Hydrogenation; Formic acid; Nickel-promoted copper on silica.
First Page Preview
Nickel-promoted copper–silica nanocomposite catalysts for hydrogenation of levulinic acid to lactones using formic acid as a hydrogen feeder
Publisher
Database: Elsevier - ScienceDirect
Journal: Applied Catalysis A: General - Volume 491, 5 February 2015, Pages 127–135
Authors
, , , , , , , ,
Subjects
Physical Sciences and Engineering Chemical Engineering Catalysis