fulltext.study @t Gmail

Hydrothermal conversion of glucose into organic acids with bentonite as a solid-base catalyst

Paper ID Volume ID Publish Year Pages File Format Full-Text
53200 46953 2016 6 PDF Available
Title
Hydrothermal conversion of glucose into organic acids with bentonite as a solid-base catalyst
Abstract

•A first study of bentonite catalyzing glucose conversion into organic acids.•First demonstration of base catalytic activity of bentonite in glucose conversion to lactic acid.•First demonstration of improving role of bentonite in conversion of glucose to acetic acid.•Yields: lactic acid, 11%; acetic acid, 27%; total organic acid: 38%.

In this study, a new process of using bentonite as a solid base catalyst in the hydrothermal conversion of glucose into lactic acid was proposed. Results showed that bentonite can act as a solid-base catalyst in conversion of glucose into lactic acid, and the yield of lactic acid increased from 5% in the absence bentonite to 11% in the presence of bentonite. Also, it was found that the presence of bentonite can greatly improve the production of acetic acid, and a considerably high acetic acid yield of 27% could be obtained in the two-step reaction. Since the bentonite is quite cheap and abundant in nature, the reported results should be helpful to facilitate studies for developing a new and green process for the conversion of carbohydrate biomass into value-added chemicals.

Graphical abstractFigure optionsDownload full-size imageDownload high-quality image (188 K)Download as PowerPoint slide

Keywords
Bentonite; Acetic acid; Lactic acid; Glucose; Biomass conversion; Solid-base catalyst
First Page Preview
Hydrothermal conversion of glucose into organic acids with bentonite as a solid-base catalyst
Publisher
Database: Elsevier - ScienceDirect
Journal: Catalysis Today - Volume 274, 1 October 2016, Pages 49–54
Authors
, , , , ,
Subjects
Physical Sciences and Engineering Chemical Engineering Catalysis